Cheers, Rwanda


17 April 2010

Visual Education

The Rwandan genocide of April 1994. Easy enough to say, not even that difficult to hear an explanation of it. I had never heard of it until last fall at one of the first meetings for the trip group. In one of my classes on Africa this semester, I read about it. And then the first two actual classes in preparation for the trip, we watched movies dealing with the genocide. I think that's when it finally hit me -- the terror, hatred, demonic anger.

After the first night, I could not sleep. The content bothered me so much that I couldn't get it off my mind. I was blessed to not have nightmares. The second one bothered me more, because the images were sudden and frightening, but not explicitly violent. I had left the first movie feeling heartbroken, but when I left after the second, I wanted to punch something.

Despite these miserable experiences, I feel like I better understand what happened, from the perspective of those in Rwanda. My journal took the full force of my emotions, so I'm much more calm now. :)

I found myself questioning lots of things about humanity and evil. If you ever watch these films, you'll probably do the same. It's good to think about.

* Movies watched: Sometimes in April, and Shake Hands With the Devil


I found this website that gives a pretty accurate picture of what happened.

Also, here are trailers for movies made about the genocide.
Shake Hands With the Devil
Hotel Rwanda
Sometimes in April was so graphic that I wouldn't recommend viewing it unless you feel you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment